Once I had Rose a mere thirteen months after I had Ruth, the common refrain that seems to be the soundtrack to my life these days began. “Looks like you’ve got your hands full!” Now that I have two toddlers and a baby, I can’t leave the house without at least one person saying it to me. I don’t think it is usually said with malicious intent. I just think people feel the need to say something when I start to notice the fact that they are staring at us, mouths agape. At this point, I am so dang tired of hearing this, I just thought I would offer some alternatives to this expression. If you see a mother with more children than is considered socially acceptable, feel free to use them. I am certain she would appreciate the refreshingly new comments.
1) You are so blessed! (My dry cleaning lady always tells me this. I love her for it)
2) You must love babies!
3) Can I help you with the door? (I ALWAYS need help with doors.)
4) Treasure this time with them!
5) The days are long, but the years are short! (I love this one, such a positive reminder.)
6) Your children are beautiful! (Lie if they aren’t. She won’t contradict you.)
7) I miss those days! (An old lady told me this when we were in line for lunch with tears in her eyes. I will never forget it.)
8) You are doing a great job! (Moms need plenty of encouragement. Trust me.)
9) They are so well behaved! (Only if they are. The mom will laugh if they aren’t.)
10) I know you must be proud of them.
11) What a cute family!
12) Dad is a lucky man.
13) Wow. (Not my favorite, but at least it’s different.)
14) Your heart must be full!
15) You are rocking that big family, mama!
What are some of your favorite things that people have said to you when you were out with your littles?